Choosing a beautiful watch can be overwhelming. We ask ourselves various questions and the choice of the watch brand necessarily comes back. Making the right choice of watch requires taking into consideration different elements such as the brand, but that should not be the only criterion. The watch brand will play a role in your final choice but should not be the only element taken into account! In this article, Charlie Paris enlightens you and gives you his advice on the different things to consider when buying a watch.
- The price: cheap watch brand or luxury watch?
- Design: classic watch brand, avant-garde or rather sporty?
- The brand: What elements should you look out for to get your opinion?
- The value for money: An important element that depends on the watch brands
- Our Charlie Paris watch brand
1. The price: cheap watch brand or luxury watch?
When you want to acquire a watch we try to have fun and to achieve this it is important to define your budget from the start. The brand of a watch obviously affects its price. For example, if you are looking for a simple watch with three hands, you will find different price ranges: inexpensive watches, mid-range watches but also luxury watches! Watches that look alike can range from 50 euros for a cheap watch to 50,000 euros for a Swiss luxury watch! Budgeting will allow you to sort between cheap watches and watches that are priced well over your budget. If you are looking for an inexpensive watch, look more towards quartz watches because this type of watch has very few parts and is less expensive than automatic watches. Obviously, this will also depend on the brand of your watch. A quartz watch from a luxury brand will be more expensive than an automatic watch from a lesser known brand.
The use and occasion for which you buy your watch also influences your budget. For example, a watch given on the occasion of an engagement will have a strong sentimental value and your budget will surely be greater than what you will have allocated if you want to use a watch for swimming in the summer.
2. Design: classic watch brand, avant-garde or rather sporty?
Above all, your watch must be pleasant to look at because it is an accessory that you will wear every day. The appearance of your watch and the effect it will have on your wrist is therefore very important long before the brand of the watch itself.
- You can choose a watch with indexes or numbers of different shapes. Indexes are generally more discreet than numbers and produce an elegant ensemble. On some watches, you can find doubled indexes, most often at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock, to give the watch perfect readability. On a sports watch, you will certainly find luminescent indexes and hands. There are also several types of glass, more or less curved and anti-reflective. If you are looking for a fine and refined watch, we recommend a discreet bezel to give it harmonious shapes. The beauty of a dial and its balance are closely linked to the choice of the shape of the hands. These dress the dial of a watch and define its style. To illuminate and bring a touch of modernity to your watch, let yourself be seduced by a colored second hand. There are several types of hands: sword-shaped, leaf-shaped ... Pay attention to them when choosing a watch.
- Also pay attention to the finish of your watch. A watch may treat the steel of its bezel and case differently to provide a watch that is crafted with, for example, polished steel on the bezel but brushed on the lugs. These must be consistent with the case and spirit of the watch. Well-cut beveled lugs provide a racy design to the watch. The apertures and counters which allow the date or even the seconds to be read must be harmonious with the dial of the watch, and can play on the reliefs.
- The design of your watch also depends on its size. Your choice of watch must be made according to the volume you are looking for: a thin watch for a discreet look or a larger watch for a deconstructed effect? However, remember toto choosea watchsuitable foryour wrist.To do this, you need to find out about the diameter of your watch case. Looking for a slim watch? NOTWe recommend a watch that has a case diameter of up to 32mm. This watch size is ideal forfor a wrist of 15cm or less. For a wrist circumference ranging from 15 to 17 cm, prefer watch cases with a diameter between 28 mm and 36 mm. Big watches are all the rage right now, on both women and men. If you are looking for an imposing watch, choose a case between 36 and 44 mm. If your wrist circumference is greater than 19cm you can afford to opt for larger cases ranging from 42mm to 50mm. Do not forget to also look at the thickness of the watch because for the same watch diameter, a thick watch will appear more imposing than a thin watch.
- Beyond the brand, the color of your watch and its dial is an important element to take into account. For the men's watches the most common colors are White, Blue or Black. It's hard to advise you on choosing a color, as it is a very personal choice. However, a white watch case back is generally more classic than dark dials which will have a more modern and contemporary feel. While most men's watches have a steel-colored case, the cases of watches for women are generally present in three categories: silver, gold and rose gold. To help you choose between a rose gold or silver watch, choose the color that best matches your skin tone or the one you are used to wearing.
- Finally, take a look at the watch bands on offer as they change the style of a watch. There are bracelets in leather, steel, nylon or plastic. For a classic and timeless style, choose a leather strap, more precisely grained leather. Smooth leather is also timeless, more contemporary than grained leather, it has the advantage of acquiring a marvelous patina over time. You can also add a touch of originality to your watch, by choosing exotic leather straps such as an ostrich leather strap. For a waterproof watch, choose steel bracelets. Milanese mesh bracelets can add a vintage, retro feel to your watch. For sports watches, nylon straps are perfect!
After defining the design of your watch, you can take an interest in its movement. Aautomatic watch is more complex to manufacture and design. If you want to buy a watch for the beauty of its mechanism, choose automatic watches. An open-heart or skeleton automatic watch allows you to admire the workings of its movement. If you are looking for a slightly fragile watch, opt for a quartz watch.
3. The brand: What elements to look out for to make up your mind?
Once you have determined your budget and the type of watch you want to adopt, then comes the question of the brand. We advise you to visit the website of the brand that interests you to learn more about their watches and their production model. If the watch brand's phone number or email is visible on their site, do not hesitate to contact them for more information.
You can also learn about the values and history of the brand. Indeed, you will have more pleasure to wear a watch with brand identity that you like. The watch is man's only jewel, and when you buy a watch you are not only buying an object but also the whole universe and the identity that expresses it. Also check if the brand has a store because it is best to come and try it before buying it. By going to the store, you can also be informed, which is more difficult for a brand that operates entirely online. Also, check if you can exchange your watch and the timeframe if the exchange is possible. A brand that sells directly through its store does not have the same policy as a brand of resellers.
The brand's social networks, blogs, forums and internet reviews also provide you with a lot of additional information. Social networks allow you to see if you belong to the universe of the brand. All of these allow you to form your own opinion on a brand.
4. The value for money: An important element that depends on the watch brands
Beyond your budget, the design and the brand that interests you, it is very important that you look at the value for money of your watch. Obviously, the value for money depends on the prestige of the brand, however here are some tips.
If you are looking for a quartz watch over 1000 €, the value for money will not be very good. If you are in this case, unless it is for a watch brand that really makes you dream, it is better to turn to an automatic watch where you can appreciate the complexity of its mechanism. With a budget of over € 500, choose watches with quality components such as sapphire crystal or 316L steel which are known for their resistance. If you do not have any indication of the movement, as you approach € 1000, the value for money of your watch is surely not very good. The guarantee is also an important element in the value for money of a watch. It is important that you can easily get in touch with the brand if you ever have a problem, whether by email, phone or by going to a store.
5. Our Charlie Paris watch brand
At Charlie Paris, we do everything we can to create timeless and unique pieces, with excellent value for money and a responsible production model. France has always been a great watchmaking country and is today a true cradle of European watchmaking. At Charlie we want to maintain this formidable heritage by combining both the times of tradition and modernity.
From the start, we wanted to give meaning to Charlie Paris. That is why all our watches are assembled by hand in France, near Besançon, by professional and experienced watchmakers. We offer automatic and quartz watches, for men and women. All our watches use a system of interchangeable strap which allows you to personalize your watch according to your wishes. At Charlie, you will find urban watches with clean lines such as our Bastille watch for men or the Sully for women. Our Initial watch collection, for men and women, brings together automatic watches with or without complications, with visible mechanism or not. At Charlie Paris, we are committed to using quality materials for our watches. All of our watch cases are made of 316L steel and most of our watches use sapphire crystal which is known to be very durable.
If you want to know more about our brand or discover our watches, we invite you to visit our website!