What are the technical specificities of these two types of watch?
Mechanical watch or rather quartz watch ? Manual or automatic winding? When it comes to choosing a watch, two schools seem to oppose the movement. While mechanical watches are very popular with collectors and watch enthusiasts, quartz watches are the most common on the market. We will in this article help you to see more clearly.
- MECHANICAL WATCHES - Automatic or manual
- QUARTZ WATCHES
- Mechanical watch vs quartz watch: the choice is yours!
1. MECHANICAL WATCHES - Automatic or manual
- Manual winding: In the same way that your grandfather reset his clock with a turn of the key, a hand-wound watch needs to be wound regularly by turning the crown to make it work.
- Automatic winding: A automatic watch is reassembled thanks to the movements of the wrist of its owner thanks to a half-disc which turns on its axis. So you don't have to wind it up manually if you wear it every day. And if you don't wear your automatic watch every day, you can use a winder that will “rock” your watch for you. Unless you prefer to wind it manually by turning the crown as on a mechanical watch with manual winding.
The advantages of a mechanical watch
- The display:The movement of the hands is more fluid and linear than on quartz watches, where the second hand makes small jumps. Thus the time display is much more aesthetic on an automatic watch.
- The ecological aspect: A automatic watch is a watch without electronic element and without battery. You will therefore no longer need to visit your watchmaker every 2 years to change the battery in your watch. So by buying an automatic watch you are choosing a durable and ecological watch.
- Movement : All our automatic watches reveal the finesse and complexity of the mechanism with which they are provided thanks to a transparent sapphire crystal caseback. The mechanical self-winding watch is a concentrate of technical knowledge, a truly fascinating timepiece!
- Durability :A well-maintained mechanical watch will follow you for several generations, its lifespan is almost infinite. A review every 5 years will allow your automatic watch to be by your side for a lifetime. If a mechanical watch malfunctions after many years of use, it will be repairable unlike Quartz watches which will have to be replaced.
- A living object : Choosing an automatic watch means choosing a watch that lives to the rhythm of the person who wears it and has done so for centuries. No electronic compound, simply a chain of cogs that works thanks to the kinetic energy created by the movements of the wrist.
Its small drawbacks?
- A mechanical watch is more sensitive to shocks than a quartz watch. It is therefore necessary to take the greatest care of it.
- A mechanical watch requires regular maintenance, approximately every 5 years. For a luxury watch, an overhaul runs around 15% of the price of the watch. If you buy a watch from a big brand, it can quickly become very expensive!
- On the precision side, a mechanical watch is less precise than a quartz watch. You can measure a delay of plus or minus four minutes per month ahead / behind.
- Finally, the main obstacle before falling for a mechanical watch: its price! Due to the complexity of the movement, mechanical watches, whether automatic or manual, are always more expensive than a quartz watch.
2. QUARTZ WATCHES
Although they did not appear until late (in 1969 with the Seiko 35SQ), quartz watches are the most common today. Their operation is relatively simple: a thin slice of quartz is set in oscillation by the electrical impulse of a battery. It is this little impulse that then allows the hands to rotate smoothly.
The advantages of a quartz watch:
- The precision : Unbeatable! Quartz watches have an accuracy of a few seconds per month, which is why this created a "tidal wave" when they first appeared.
- Resistance : Quartz movements are less fragile than mechanical movements which are made up of many more parts. Quartz is more resistant to shocks and vibrations.
- The price : Quartz watches are less expensive than mechanical watches. If you are looking for a cheap watch, then you can turn to a quartz watch.
- The thickness: Quartz movements have the advantage of being thinner than the majority of mechanical watches. If you are looking for a thin watch and you don't have 10,000 euros to shell out, the quartz watch has a definite advantage.
Its main drawbacks?
- The battery in a quartz watch typically has a lifespan of about two years. Function of use and energy consumption of movement. You will therefore have to go to your watchmaker more regularly than for a mechanical watch whose revision is recommended every 5 years.
- Its durability is less than for a mechanical watch. You can always repair a mechanical watch while this is not necessarily the case with an electronic quartz movement. You could compare quartz watches to today's cars and mechanical watches to old vintage cars that you can always get repaired.
3. Mechanical watch vs quartz watch: the choice is yours!
As you will have understood, the quartz watch has undeniable practical advantages while the mechanical watch is more recognized for its durability (a lifetime!) And the nobility of its mechanics, a heritage of tradition and watchmaking know-how. . At Charlie Paris, we do everything we can to help you find LA watch that suits you. Whether quartz or automatic.
Discover some of our Charlie Paris quartz and automatic watches:
- Men's automatic watches:The Initial is our collection of understated and elegant automatic watches, with or without complications. This collection of automatic watches for men brings together watches with or without visible movement.The Initial Coeur Open automatic watch, with a design that is both classic and contemporary is equipped with hour, minute, second & 24h counter functions andlets you see the cogs of the movement. In this collection, you will also find our Initial automatic three-hand watch, the Initial power reserve and the Initial Calendar watch, with white or blue dial. Each of these watches has interchangeable straps. You can choose the material of your bracelet, a smooth, grained leather, ostrich leather or Milanese mail strap, and the colors, a brown, blue, black or even green bracelet.
- Ladies automatic watch:The Initial 36 is our collection of automatic watch for women. Designed, designed and assembled in France, the Initial 36 has hour, minute and second functions and is also available in an open heart version. You will appreciate the open heart of this watch which reveals the cogs of the movement. This collection combines clean lines and delicate curves in a spirit that is both timeless and contemporary. This watch with a champagne or white dial goes very well with a Milanese mesh bracelet in silver or rose gold. Our interchangeable strap system allows you to alternate your watch strap with an elegant leather strap.
- Men's quartz watch:The Bastille is one of our quartz watches for men with a sober and elegant design. This men's watch with interchangeable strap is available with white, blue, green and black dial. The Bastille with its 39mm diameter case adapts perfectly to men's wrists. You will also find our Solar watch in steel, available with a white or blue dial. The solar watch with the blue dial combines index and number from 1 to 12. This watch goes very well with a Milanese mesh or leather strap.
- Women's quartz watch:Are you looking for a ladies quartz watch? The Sully is our fine quartz watch for women. A true concentrate of elegance and femininity, the Sully watch imposes its finesse and dresses your wrist every day thanks to its interchangeable straps that adapt to your outfit as well as your mood. This watchrefinedis available in rose gold and silver and you can choose one of our elegant leather or Milanese mesh bracelets in rose gold or silver color to bring a vintage touch to your watch. For a sportier watch, choose our Aurora steel watch. This waterproof watch is available with a blue, emerald, steel or pink dial. Both feminine and sporty, this watch illuminates your wrist every day.
The main thing is that you take pleasure in wearing the watch that you want to acquire or have as a gift. That you appreciate it for its aesthetics as well as for the story it will tell you. This can be through the values embodied by the brand but also by the moment in your life that it will mark, such as an anniversary or an engagement gift for example.
Still hesitating? Do not hesitate to call us on 0681753925 we will be very happy to advise you.