How to choose your watch? Watch with automatic movement or quartz watch? Which color to choose? Choosing a watch can prove to be a real headache! Whether you are looking to give a gift to a loved one or to yourself, we will help you make your choice in 4 steps.
- The choice of the watch movement
- The choice of the size of the watch case
- The choice of the color of the watch
- The choice of watch strap
1. What type of watch to choose: Quartz, Automatic or ... Solar?
Before choosing your watch, it is necessary to determine which type of watch you wish to acquire. You will have to choose the type of movement that will equip your watch.
The movement is the heart of the watch. It is the mechanism that allows a watch to function. At Charlie Paris, we source all of our watches from Citizen, a Japanese manufacturer.
Quartz movements are simple mechanisms that work with a battery. These movements have the advantage of being the most precise. We use Quartz movements for watches from our women's collection (Aurore, Sully, Monceau) and for our men's watches (Bastille, Horizon, Concordia and GR).
Automatic mechanical movements use wheels and springs to operate using kinetic energy. That is, the energy that a body possesses as a result of its movement. The movement of a automatic watchis more complex to manufacture and design. It is the darling of watch enthusiasts and collectors.
Solar movements:As the name suggests, solar movements are movements that run on energy from the sun. Solar watches, like battery-powered watches, are watches that use a thin strip of gold quartz in the case of a solar watch, the impulse given to this quartz strip comes not from the battery but from the energy produced solar radiation. Choosing a solar watch is choosing a durable and ecological watch!
Discover our watch collection for a budget of 1000 euros in one of our articles on our watch blog.
2. What size of watch should I choose?To choose a watch, we must also be interested in the size of the latter and ask ourselves what size watch is right for our wrist?
- For a wrist of 15cm or less we recommend a watch that has a case diameter of up to 32mm. The Sully or Monceau watch would be perfect for you!
- For a wrist size ranging from 15 to 17 cm, a case between 28 mm and 36 mm will fit you like a glove. Our Initial 36 or Aurore watches will adapt perfectly to your wrist.
- For a wrist size of between 16 and 18cm, prefer watch cases with a diameter between 36 and 44 mm. All our men's watches are included in this interval!
- If your wrist circumference is greater than 19 cm you can opt for larger cases ranging from 42mm to 50mm
Other things to consider when it comes to size
Diameter is an important component to consider when buying a watch, but you also have to consider the size and length of the lugs, those little clips on which watch straps are attached. Our advice is that the horns should not protrude from your wrist. An impression of overload could then be created.
Also take into account the thickness of the watch. For the same watch diameter, a thick watch will look much larger than a very thin watch.
3. What color should I choose for my watch?
You now have an idea of the type of movement you want for your next watch as well as its size, you must now choose the color of your watch and its dial.
For men's watches, the most common colors are White, Blue or Black. Most watches have a Steel colored case although some brands offer black cases like our limited edition, the Concordia Kraken, which belongs to our collection of black watch.
It's difficult to advise you on the choice of a color, but we will retain that a white background is generally more classic, but has the advantage of being able to be mixed with all types of bracelets. Dark dials will have a more modern and contemporary feel, however not all bracelets will match perfectly with this type of dial.
For women's models, the classic dial colors are white, champagne or even black. There are also watches with colored dials such as blue, or even green as on our Aurore or Sully model. The cases are generally present in 3 colors: Silver, Gold and Rose Gold. Choose the metal that goes best with your skin tone or the one you are used to wearing. To keep your watches as long as possible, we recommend that you clean and maintain your watch with care.
4. What type of strap should you choose for your watch?
Finally it remains to choose the strap of your watch. There are several options available to you for this. There are bracelets in leather, steel, nylon or plastic.
For a classic and timeless style, choose a leather strap, more precisely grained leather. Smooth leather is also timeless, more contemporary than grained leather.
To stay on leather, but with a touch of originality, opt for exotic leather bracelets, or leather bracelets that mimic the markings of exotic leather, such as our ostrich leather bracelets or our lizard bracelets.
Steel bracelets like the ones we present on our Concordia, GR and Bastille models will give your watch a more sporty and less classic look.
Milanese mesh bracelets can add a more vintage feel to your watch.