How to choose your watch ? Automatic women's watch or quartz women's watch ? Which color to choose ? Choosing a watch can be a real struggle! Whether you are looking to make a gift to a loved one or to yourself, we will help you make your choice in 4 steps.
- What type of watch should I choose: Quartz, Automatic or Solar?
Before choosing your watch, it is necessary to determine what type of watch you want to acquire. You will have to choose the type of movement that will equip your watch.
The movement is the heart of the watch. It is the mechanism that allows a watch to function. At Charlie Paris, we buy all our watches from Citizen, a Japanese manufacturer. There are two main "categories" of movement: automatic movement watches and quartz movement watches. At Charlie Paris we are working on a third alternative, solar watches. Quartz movements are simple mechanisms that work with a battery. These movements have the advantage of being the most accurate. We use quartz movements for our women's watches (Aurore, Sully, Monceau) and for our men's watches (Bastille, Horizon, Concordia and GR). The automatic mechanical movements use wheels and springs to operate thanks to kinetic energy. That is to say, the energy that a body possesses because of its movement. The movement of an automatic watch is more complex to manufacture and design. Solar movements: as the name suggests, solar movements are movements that run on the energy of the sun.
- What size watch should I choose?
- For a wrist size of 15cm or less we recommend a watch with a case diameter of up to 32mm. The Sully or Monceau watch would be perfect for you!
- For a wrist size between 15 and 17 cm a case between 28 mm and 36 mm will fit you like a glove. Our Initial 36 or Aurore watches will fit perfectly on your wrist.
- For a wrist size between 16 and 18 cm, choose a watch case with a diameter between 36 and 44 mm. All our men's watches are included in this range!
- If your wrist circumference is greater than 19 cm you can opt for larger cases ranging from 42mm to 50mm.
- What color should I choose for my watch?
You now have an idea of the type of movement you want for your next watch as well as its size, now you have to choose the color of your watch and its dial. For men's watches, the most common colors are white, blue or black. It is difficult to advise you on the choice of a color, but we will say that a white background is generally more classic, but has the advantage of being able to be mixed with all types of straps. Dark dials will have a more modern and contemporary feel, however not all straps will go perfectly with this type of dial.
For women's watches, the classic dial colors are white, champagne or black. There are also watches with colored dials such as blue, or green as on our Aurore or Sully model. The cases are generally available in 3 colors: silver, gold and rose gold. Choose the metal that best matches your skin tone or the one you are used to wearing. To keep your watches as long as possible, we advise you to clean and maintain your watch with care.
- What type of strap to choose for your watch?
Finally, you have to choose the strap for your watch. There are several options for this. There are leather, steel, nylon or plastic straps. At Charlie Paris, we offer interchangeable watch straps for more versatility.