An automatic watch winder is a machine that allows mechanical watches to be wound without the need to be worn. The winder mimics the wrist movements that traditionally allow the automatic mechanical watch to charge. You simply place the automatic watch on the winding mechanism and it will keep time.
What are the advantages of a watch winder?
- The watch winder keeps the automatic mechanical watch on time. Most automatic watches have a power reserve of one or two days. So, if it is not worn, your watch may stop. The winder keeps your automatic watch running by creating the movements of your wrist.
The winder also allows you to maintain the mechanism of the watch. Indeed, leaving your mechanical watch stopped for too long can damage the mechanism by freezing the oil inside.
Finally, the watch winder is considered by many to be a real decorative object that acts as a case for your watch.
Is it possible for the watch winder to prematurely damage the automatic watch?
It is considered that the oscillating weight must be turned approximately 1500 to 1800 times per day for the automatic watch to fully recharge. However, there are different types of watch winders for automatic watches: some turn continuously and others, more sophisticated, turn according to a predefined setting. Watch winders that run continuously can eventually damage the movement because the oscillating weight will make much more than 1800 revolutions in a day. Thus the watch winder is a tool that can be extremely practical for some people as well as being a gadget without much interest for others. This difference of perception will depend on each user and the use he has of his automatic watches. As you can see, the use or not of a watch winder is a very personal choice.
How to choose the right watch winder for your automatic watch?
When your collection of mechanical watches with automatic winding starts to grow, we recommend you to invest in a watch winder. Charlie Paris helps you to choose the right watch winder for you thanks to 6 criteria :
- Storage capacity: To choose a watch winder, it is important to take into account the storage capacity of the winder. To do this, calculate the number of slots that can accommodate your men's automatic watches or your women's automatic watches. Plan a watch winder that is appropriate for the evolution of your collection.
Volume: The size of your watch winder depends on the number of watches you want to store and the space it is designed for. There are single and multi location watch winders. If you want to display your watch winder in your living room or bedroom, a multi-location watch winder is best. Conversely, a single location watch winder is more suitable if you want to place one of your watches in a safe.
- Design: Many brands offer watch winders with more or less elaborate designs. It's up to you to choose the one that suits you best.
- Power supply: There are different power supplies for a watch winder. Some work with batteries and others with cable power. However, a battery powered watch winder is more aesthetically pleasing and practical.
- Brand: There are many different brands of watchwinders and some are very well known.
- The price: Watch winders are offered at various prices but generally we advise to count at least 200€. The price of a watch winder can go much higher, up to thousands of euros, and these models sometimes make some watch enthusiasts succumb.