Waterproof watch: definition and levels
Waterproof refers to something that does not let liquids or gases through. In watchmaking, the water resistance of a watch is defined by its resistance to pressure. Manufacturers most often indicate the degree of water resistance in meters (m), feet (ft) or atmospheres (ATM). "ATM stands for "normal atmosphere". ATM refers to the atmosphere and is calculated in a physical process that determines the pressure the watch can withstand. That is, the pressure that water can exert on the watch. The ATM is a unit of pressure that indicates the water resistance of a watch. Watches bearing the designation "waterproof", with or without an indication of overpressure, must comply with and have passed the prescribed tests. Please note that the number written does not refer to the depth, but to the units used to calculate the water resistance of your watch.
If your watch does not show any indication of water-resistance: in this case, systematically move it away from water areas: this means that your watch is absolutely not water-resistant. You risk damaging your watch and its mechanism.
3 ATM: A watch with a 3ATM rating means that your watch is water resistant in the case of slight exposure to water such as when you wash your hands or when it rains. Your watch will withstand occasional splashes such as hand washing or rain. We recommend removing it during a shower or swim to avoid damage.
5 ATM: This is a slightly waterproof watch. The 5 ATM water resistance allows your watch to withstand submersion in water, so you can use it for swimming. However, if you are planning a swim, make sure it is calm, avoid jumping and diving! A 5ATM watch does not withstand activities that will put your watch under excess pressure. Furthermore, do not take a shower or bath with your waterproof watch because condensation may damage your watch and leave a cloud of mist under the glass of your watch.
10 ATM: A 10ATM water resistance allows a waterproof watch to be more resistant. This waterproofness will allow you to enjoy your swims for a long time without risking fogging up your dial. With a 10ATM waterproof watch you can go swimming and diving in a reasonable way, without fear of damaging your watch.
30 ATM : Watches with a water resistance of 30ATM and more are completely waterproof. Often reserved for professionals, these watches are resistant to deep-sea diving with tanks. With this type of watch you can dive, swim and do water sports without fear of damaging your watch. Diving watches are usually waterproof up to 300m.
Waterproof watch: How to take care of it?
Regardless of the level of water resistance of your watch, there are certain conditions that must be respected in order to take the best possible care of your watch.
- Sudden temperature changes should be avoided as they can damage your waterproof watch. In summer, be careful not to give your watch a thermal shock when you decide to go swimming after exposing it to the sun for several hours.
- Be aware of the condensation that can appear under the glass of your watch. Water resistance and condensation are two different phenomena. A waterproof watch is water resistant, but temperature changes can cause condensation, for example when you take a shower.
- If you encounter a problem with your waterproof watch, such as condensation, it is best to have it checked by a watchmaker as soon as possible. It is also recommended that you have the water-resistance of your watch checked every 3 to 5 years if you use your waterproof watch occasionally and every year if you regularly go into the water with your watch.
Waterproof watches by Charlie Paris
Now that you know better the indications concerning the waterproofness of your watch, here is a small summary of our watches according to their waterproofness:
- If you want to wear your watch every day, you can choose a waterproof watch with 3 and 5 ATM of waterproofness. All our watches have a minimum water resistance of 3 ATM, whether our men's quartz watches or our automatic watches.
- Looking for a waterproof watch for women? Designed and manufactured in France, the Aurore, waterproof 10ATM, has been designed to accompany you all year long. Its sleek silhouette draws athletic and sophisticated lines. Available in multiple colors and equipped with a quartz movement, this watch offers a wide variety of dials, each embodying its definition of elegance.
- Do you want a waterproof watch? Our Concordia dive watch is for you. It is a 30 ATM waterproof watch. It has been designed as a tool to be worn everywhere, every day and forever. Designed and assembled in France, equipped with a Swiss automatic movement, waterproof to 300m, the Concordia is a sporty model with a strong watchmaking content while remaining signed with the modern elegance characteristic of the House.